My Photo
Name:

Probation Officer and Adult Volunteer Leader for the High School Ministry of Granger Community Church.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Awkward...

So one of my brothers is getting married the second week of August. It's awesome. He's marrying a great girl and from what I hear her family is great too. And everything that happens before a normal wedding is happening. It's all good. So Saturday after church Jami asks me if I want to help her go shopping to buy a gift for my sister-in-law-to-be's shower. I'm not that enthused to go shopping for a shower, but I go. It's a chance for Carter, Jami and I to hang out, go to the mall and see if we know any of the "mall rats". Anyway, we pull up to Sears (you can usually find a good parking spot there... we did) and the first thing we do is go to the bra and panty section (that's right, I just said panty in my blog). So I'm 29 and mature enough to handle this. If I was younger – say 6 or 7 years old, I might have squeezed all of the bras. But I'm older now... although I did think about it. So we're in the bra and panty section and my Jami asks me if I see where the Lingerie section is. I say, "No", but I'm thinking what any husband would think if his wife asks him that. But I ask why anyways and she says, "Because I have that lingerie shower for Katie (my brother's fiance)." (Insert high pitch voice) "Awkward!) I had totally forgot about that. So for the next hour and a half we went from store to store looking for a lingerie gift for my new sister-in-law. "Do you like this? Is this cute? What about the color on this one? Is this too old fashioned looking? Is this too wild?" All I kept saying in my head was, "You can't go wrong with black", and "There's no place like home, there's no place like home." Needless to say that we saw one of our high school students walking through the mall, and needless to say that he and his girlfriend saw us and decided to come up and talk. And needless to say he asked us what we were doing there. I really should have said that we were looking for puppies, but I told him the truth... (Insert high pitch voice) Awkward! He understood though. We did, after what seemed like an eternity, find a gift for my soon to be sister-in-law. And yes Jami went to the shower on Sunday. And no, she did not tell her that I helped pick it out for her because that would have been (Insert high pitch voice) AWKWARD!

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt Barrett said...

I had a similar experience before I got married. I decided I'd get my then fiance a bra for Christmas. Sounded good on paper, but then holy cats it got Akward. What size? What color? What shape? VERY AKWARD!

But by the end I was on my knees with the sales associate of Victoria's Secret emptying boxes of undergarments searching for the perfect item. Just overcome those Akward feelings and enjoy the moment for what it is.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Tammy McMullen said...

Okay that was too funy. What did Carter think of the whole experience? Your a good husband Todd!!!!!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous D. Ruth said...

For anyone who is interested....Todd and his brothers actually did pinch the ladies garments as we walked by the lingerie department at LS Ayres!! That's when they weren't spinning the mannequins wigs around!! I'm going to really enjoy watching them raise Carter!!!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I try to explain the feeling of going into Victoria Secrets to my wife, but she doesn't get it. Its awkward to stand there and see people my mom or grandma's age buying lingerie or on the other hand, as a youth leader, seeing teenagers looking. I dread the day I actually see a teen from my own youth group in there.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home